09/09/2017

IT (2017) ★ | MOVIE REVIEW


Art by Andrew See, Edit by Zeng Teck.





Hey Zengarmy,


(I apologize in advance if some of the images included in this post
terrify you. I tend to select photos that elicit the appropriate mood
to go with my review. Please don't stare at the picture for too long!)




Today's post might possibly be my favorite horror movie review up-to-date!
I don't give such compliment lightly (you can refer to my Annabelle movie
review heheh) because as I've mentioned repeatedly in my previous posts:
I'm not a fake bitch who sugar-coats his opinion in reviews. I say what I
want to say so if you're a sensitive bitch you can unfollow me to save both
of us some time ;) I know it's embarrassing to admit this but I have NEVER
read any Stephen King's work despite his worldly status of being an A-class
horror master. I have a lot of friends who grew up reading Stephen King's
horror novels (including "It") but I never had the luxury of money and time
to purchase and read his novels when I was a kid. So, I guess I kinda lost
the entrance ticket to the exclusive Stephen-King-fan-club since DAY 1!






When I saw this trailer a month ago, I thought the movie will be meh.
It looked like a typical okay-clowns-are-basic-so-let-me-make-it-look
-unnecessarily-deeper-by-adding-some-adult-quotes-spoken-by-children
-in-the-trailer-cause-people-love-children-and-would-buy-the-advanced
-selling-tickets-if-they-see-one. The presentation is good, I thumbed up
the video, & I love the aesthetic of the trailer — but I can't help feeling
the cringe whenever I hear children trying to sound deep when they're
not (a pet peeve of mine). If you go to the comment section of the video
you can see a lot of people making fun of the clown's face at 2:16 HAHAH
INCLUDING ME (I commented "2:16 ME when my friend tries to post an
ugly selfie of mine on Instagram"). Unlike most of the people, the fear
for clowns is not registered in my brain so I don't think "It" will be THAT
terrifying for me to watch (I'm usually more scared of serial killers etc.)






I watched "It" yesterday & it's still not that scary for me (I think I managed to grow
my guts throughout all these years of scares!) but I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY LOVE
the overall combination of cast acting, soundtrack as well as the pace of the plot!



[ Overall verdict :  8/10  for "It"! ]



If you're a person who can't stand slow-paced plot because you'll fall asleep
in 0.02 seconds the MOMENT the character starts talking about what he ate
for lunch that day, rest assured because the plot pace in "It" is so intense
you'll have no time to fall asleep. Literally every single second of the movie
there will be something major going on on the screen — some people might
hate that but I'm a fan — like, I'm not trying to go into the cinema to sleep
away my money y'all! Without giving away too much spoilers, "It" is more
inclined towards a horror-fantasy genre instead of thriller-killer genre —
which I didn't know about that before the movie so I was rather confused
if the clown is a REAL KILLER or an IMAGINARY DEMON (turns out it's the
latter). If you try to watch this movie in a logical way, you will probably
hate this movie. A lot of the horror scenes appeared to have no logic at
all (e.g. only the children can see the blood stains on the wall but the
adult can't see it?!?!) — I'll blame it on the fact that I haven't read the
original novel yet as we all know "movie is a summary of the novel" &
a lot of details tend to be missed in the movies adapted from novels.






Okay. Starting from NOW there WILL be
 spoilers here and there  so if you're not
a fan of spoilers I will gladly suggest you
to leave this post RIGHT NOWWW. DO IT.






The first scene of the movie is literally the same as the one they showed in the
trailer but I DID NOT EXPECT THE CLOWN TO BITE OFF THE CUTE BOY'S HANDDD
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
I certainly thought the boy will just be held captive by the clown for fun (lol)
but HOW DARE THE CLOWN KILLED HIM?!?! I was shook. Like, this is already
one of the most heart-wrenching scenes and the story hasn't even started!!
I definitely think the addition of the brotherly love between Bill & Georgie
sets this movie on a higher bar compared to other horror films. And CAN
WE TALK ABOUT HOW BEAUTIFUL BILL (played by Jaeden Lieberher) IS?!






Can you believe he's only 14 years old?!?! 14 YEARS OLDDDDDD!!! How can he
already look like he has a modeling contract like what did he do to skip the
ugly phase of adolescence?! TEACH ME YOUR WAYYYYYSSSS JAEEEEDEEENNN!
I can totally see this kid going places in the future give him his OSCARRRRRR!



I balled my eyes out at one of the last scenes of the movie where Bill saw Georgie's
yellow raincoat laying amongst all of the victimized kids' remnants. He is SO GOOD
AT THAT! Usually child actors OVERDO CRYING SCENES (which is ewwwww ahsfkgas)
but he legitimately did it so naturally it conveyed his character's agony so fluently.
There were a few scenes where Bill cried at the thought of his brother Georgie's
death & ALL THE SCENES MADE MY HEART WRENCHED! Whatever acting classes
Jaeden Lieberher were attending — it definitely worked! This kid's potential is
beyond amazing and I truly believe he will go far in his acting career, so long as
he don't do drugs or sex club (pssst) when he grew older (and hotter) because we
all know what happened to Hollywood child actors who do drugs! I'm praying this
kid will be the next Eddie Redmayne wooooo (apparently I'm fangirling too hard)!






Just like any of my previous movie reviews mentioned, a golden cast is the KEY
to enable the audience to engage with the characters of the story. The cast of
"It" definitely gives off a "Stranger Things" vibe (if you didn't know anything
about "Stranger Things", it is a Netflix TV series where a bunch of kids tries
to fight off alien invaders from another dimension — my description made it
sound terrible but I swear to God this show is GOOOOD. I swear on my life.)
Apparently they even cast the OG child actor from "Stranger Things" (Finn
Wolfhard) to play the role of Richie in "It"! The chemistry between these
child actors are the most adorable & heart-warming thing I've ever seen
I JUST WANT TO BE FRIENDS WITH THEM PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!



# L o s e r C l u b F o r L i f e






Speaking of the star of the showPennywise (the clown) easily shared the equal limelight
as all of the kid stars did. Even though nothing much has been showed about Pennywise's
history in this movie, I feel like hints had been given generously throughout the movie
that there was an extremely sad past for the clown that caused him to become evil. I'm
a total sucker for this kind of storyline (just like Cersei Lannister in Game of Thrones)
and would totally return to the cinema to support "It: Chapter 2" when it comes out
in 2019 (YES IT IS CONFIRMED THAT THERE WILL BE A CHAPTER TWO FOR THIS MOVIE
AS YOU CAN SEE FROM THE POST-CREDIT SCENE IN THE END OF THIS MOVIE YEIIIIII!)



By the way, for those of you guys who are wondering, there are NO extra visual
scene in the end (I knew this because I stayed until the very end of the movie)!











Also I did a little research and guess
WHO THE FUCK PLAYED PENNYWISE?






I would gladly die in the hands of him.



Hahahahaha jokes aside, I would recommend you guys to watch this movie!

This movie is SO MUCH BETTER THAN THE SHITTY ANNABELLE & AMITYVILLE,
like... you can literally put those two other movies into the trash can hahaha!
Have you guys watched this movie? Let me know your thoughts in the comment!









          
(CLICK TO FOLLOW ALONG & STAY UPDATED)

No comments :

Post a Comment

 photo back to top 1_zpsf8bgncs9.png