12/01/2016

NOTHING LASTS FOREVER, KID.






Hey Zengarmy,


Did it ever hit you that relationship changes ever so often?
If you really think hard about it, no relationships actually last forever.
Nothing is impeccable, even with kinship —— it ends with death.
With romance, you either end up with breakups & divorce or death.
And with friendship, I kid you not, it ends with a bajillion of reasons,
including simple things such as "oh you didn't invite me to your birthday party"
or "oh i will never talk to you again cause you forgot to ask me out for dinner".



You name it I write it.



A few days ago, I received a facebook message from a Chinese reader
of my Chinese-based blog on Facebook. I'm not going to name any names
here, so I'll just use "H" to represent that reader in the later part of this post.



So, here's what H told me :



 "I was once close friends with A & B, but I
distant myself from them because of their bad attitudes.
A & B later fell out, but quickly reconciled again.
They then tried to gang up with most classmates
in the same class to boycott me & my friends, C & D.
C & D were besties with A & B but got boycotted
solely because C & D are on good terms with me.
I feel troubled. Can you help me?" 



Upon reading this message, 2 immediate thoughts popped up in my brain :
(1) Gurl you're only in your early teenage life what's up with all the drama??
(2) Nothing lasts forever. The sooner you realize that, the happier you'll be.



I'm not gonna elaborate on the first point (cause I sounded like a bitch),
so I'm going to talk about the second point instead: Nothing lasts forever.
Ever since I was a kid, I was very determined that all friendships are short-lived.
I despised socializing & always thought that sociable people were loud & rude.
And I ABSOLUTELY HATED the fact that some people willingly suck up to others
just to prove that their social well-being is growing on the right track. Eww.



You can now tell that making friends was not my cup of tea.
If destiny does exist, I'm pretty sure that I was pre-destined to be a loner.



My first ever besties-gone-wrong friendship was the one with
a girl named X (again, I'm not naming names to protect their privacy.)
If not mistaken, I think X is my first ever friend of opposite gender.
We would give each other gifts & draw each other cards on a weekly basis.
But then one day, X just got sick of all these. She said, as I remember,
that she needs to unfriend me because all her friends think that we're dating.
I mean, WOT? DATING? NO GURL YOU THINK TOO HIGHLY OF YOURSELF! Bitch please!



And then we barely talked again ever since that drama episode.



That was my first taste of a failed friendship,
and I was even more determined to avoid this pitfall since then.
I made up 2 simple rules for myself: (1) shut up, and (2) don't care.
The results? Life was better since then. Just sometimes lonely.
I was on a good-but-not-super-good term with everyone I knew,
in order to avoid getting involved in any dramas, where I had to
choose one side to stand by when two friends that are equally close
to me are fighting over a slice of pizza or a bowl of ice cream.



Yeah, when you're in primary school, you'll find yourself
surrounded by people who fight over the slightest things.
And just when I thought things are getting better in high school,
they're not. In fact, in some circumstances it's worse than ever.



Apart from a few originally-close-but-not-anymore-once-he-found-somebody-new
friends, I think I did pretty good at avoiding friendship pitfalls in high school.
I stayed close to only a small group of people, and I never regret that choice.
This is also the point where my depression and anxiety just kicked in,
so I wasn't very active at networking and making new contacts.



To me, I'll NEVER expect a friend (even bestie) to stay forever close to me.
It's real life. Fairy tales do not exist. There's always going to be somebody
new that attracts your friend more that you're capable of. And that doesn't mean
you're not an attractive person! You are! Just not anymore to that person you're
once best-friend-forever with. Like clothes, people do grow out of friendship.



I really do feel bad for those people who spent so much time on friends,
that all they know is how to entertain other people rather than themselves.
Not saying that making friends is a waste of time, but it shouldn't be a priority.
I've seen A LOT of my reader's message on my social media telling me that they
feel like they're worthless because every of their relationships ended up not working.
The feeling of "I can't live without him/her" occurs simply because you spent so much
effort and time attaching to that person, until you have no time to build relationship
with yourself. Yes, building relationship with yourself. It is not self-egoism, but priority.



Invest in yourself, NOT relationships.
If you, who are reading this, is a girl whom thinks that you're going to find
a Prince Charming who will provide for you forever & laugh at every of your jokes,
I can't tell you how important IT IS to get rid of this thinking out of your head!
It is dangerous to think that your life will ONLY BE COMPLETED by relationships.
It is not! In fact, one CAN live alone unmarried for the rest of his/her life,
as long as he/she is financially independent, happy, satisfied, and contended.



Invest in something tangible. Invest in yourself. Love yourself.
When you love yourself more than anyone else, you attract people. And then,
good relationships, friendships, and romance will automatically come to you.
I once told my friends that I've already prepared myself to be alone for
the rest of my life, and —— you guess it —— they absolutely freaked out!



"Are you insane?" says my friend.
Yes, maybe. But I am a happy, satisfied, contended insane boy ;)




我談戀愛的時候,身邊的人會羨慕我甜蜜的大小事。
我單身的時候,身邊的人卻也羨慕我這樣自在的日子。


其實人都是矛盾的,經常會摸不清楚自己想要的是什麼,
很可能被一個念頭影響了認知,很容易羨慕別人,卻從未正視自己擁有的。


是這樣的,這也是正常的,單身的時候看別人小兩口你一句我一句的打情罵俏,
也會希望身邊有個人能如此陪伴自己,冬天的時候為自己披上外套,噓寒問暖。
當談戀愛的時候,卻又嫌對方囉唆,太黏,沒有喘息空間,
恨不得回歸一個人的生活,自由自在,沒有人限制你的一舉一動。


只是,這都沒有錯,也沒有什麼絕對一個人比兩個人好,或者有人陪伴比孤單好。
如果你能夠把握當下,珍惜每一分每一刻,不管是一個人,不管是兩個人,
時間依然正在流逝,何不好好擁抱陪著你的人,何不去享受一個人的時光?


對於生命中的分離與相逢,都不必看得太過認真。
只要記得你所擁有的當下這一秒,就是最美好的時刻。


As a matter of fact, people are contradictory.
They often lost sight of what they've already own.
"The grass is always greener on the other side" is what they think.


This is exactly normal and common.
When a person is single, he/she will crave for companionship;
When a person is in a relationship, he/she will be longing for carefree-ness.


There are no exact rules saying that people in relationships
are always happier than those who aren't, or vice versa.
If you are able to seize the moment and cherish what you own,
you're able to enjoy your life, with or without companionship.









(CLICK TO FOLLOW ALONG & STAY UPDATED)

 photo zeng teck signature_zpscpamp0ov.jpg

No comments :

Post a Comment

 photo back to top 1_zpsf8bgncs9.png