19/07/2014

THE FAULT IN OUR STARS ★ | BOOK & MOVIE REVIEW








Hey Zengarmy,


Pre-warning :
This post is EXTREMELY LONG.


No poop, today I'm going to blog about THE FAULT IN OUR STARS.
Yes, I am going to be a very inconsiderate SPOILER
and tell you everything I felt about the book and the movie itself.

(which means I'm gonna expose a lot about #TFIOS)

You can choose not to read this blog post if you don't wanna know
a single thing about TFIOS until you actually watched the movie (or read the book).
If you choose to stay and read on, 
don't regret or condemn me after reading this post hahaha!


Well, you do have some say in your choice. 
(which means, yes, THIS, is your final warning)


Let's begin !






I love the book more than the movie, just to be honest.

I will give the MOVIE a 6 marks out of 10 marks.
I will give the BOOK a 10 marks out of 10 marks.

There are so many books that I have read, 
but nothing can fill me with the evangelical zeal like how TFIOS did.
(LOL I italicised this phrase because  I quote it off the book)

Well, I read the book one week before watching the movie. 
And I must say that, I was excruciatingly excited
and anxious for the movie to make its way on-screen.
My expectation for the movie was very high :
it's totally inhumane to not have high hopes
on the remake of a wonder you admired so much.

TFIOS is a must-read, even if romance has never been your thing
(or isn't your thing anymore).
Grab yourself a copy of TFIOS and experience it yourself.
You would definitely fall in love with Augustus Waters
and wish that you can be Hazel Grace one day. 








My Favourite quotes from the book : 


 "You gave me a forever within the numbered days.
I cannot tell you how thankful I am for our little infinity."
( When Hazel said this to Augustus, I cried *yes, in both the book and the movie*
Who says there's no forever? 
Forever do exist in limited times -
it's only up to us whether we take a leap of faith into its embrace,
or carefully disregard it as another insignificant, finite infinity. )


 "Sometimes people don't understand the promises
they're making when they make them."


 "You are so busy being you,
that you have no idea how utterly unprecedented  you are."



 "I fell in love the way you fall asleep : slowly, and then all at once."


 "It would be a privilege to have my heart broken by you."


 "Some infinites are bigger than other infinites."



 "Okay? Okay. Perhaps 'okay' will be our 'always'."
( Awwwwwww...... )


 "The world is not a wish-granting factory."


 "Pain demands to be felt."


 "I'm a grenade."
( This just hits into my heart so deeply,
imagine a cancer patient calling herself a "grenade"!
That literally is just so heart-wrenching for my sensitive soul. )


 "My thoughts are stars I cannot fathom into constellations."


 "You don't get to choose if you get hurt in this world,
but you do have some say in who hurts you.
I like my choices. I hope she likes hers."
( This is part of the eulogy that Augustus wrote for Hazel. )


 "There will come a time when all of us are dead. All of us.
There will come a time when there are no human beings remaining
to remember that anyone ever existed or that our species ever did anything.
There will be no one left to remember Aristotle or Cleopatra, let alone you.
Everything that we did and built and wrote and discovered
will be forgotten and all of this will have been for naught.
Maybe that time is coming soon and maybe it is millions of years away,
but even if we survived the collapse of our sun, we will not survive forever.
There was time before organisms experienced consciousness,
and there will be time after.
And if the inevitability of human oblivion worries you,
I encourage you to ignore it. God knows that's what everyone else does." 


 "You say you're not special because the world doesn't know about you,
but that's an insult to me. I know about you."
( This exact phrase didn't exist in the movie and I am VERY disappointed.
However, the same point was made in a different way :
when Hazel took the poor wheelchair-bound Augustus to The Funky Bones.
So it's still quite okay I guess? )


 "And then the line was quiet but not dead.
I almost feel like he was in my room with me,
but in a way it was better, like I was not in my room
and he was not in his, but instead we were together
in some invisible and tenuous third space that could only be visited on the phone."
( The tenuous third space that Gus and Hazel shared together
is just......I'm out of words. )


 " 'I love you present tense,' I whispered,
and then put my hand on the middle of his chest and said,
'It's okay, Gus. It's okay. It is. It's okay, you hear me?
I had - and have - absolutely no confidence that he could hear me.
I leaned forward and kissed his cheek.
'Okay,' I said.'Okay.' "
( This is the part that I loved the MOST and also cried for the MOST...
BUT the scene didn't take place in the movie !!!
Regrettably, in the movie, Hazel just simply placed the packet of cigarettes on the coffin 
and backed off to start with her eulogy.
This is one particular reason why I didn't give the movie a perfect rating.
How can they omit such a significant part ???!!! )


The book was so awesome that I wouldn't mind reading it over and over again.
However, the movie wasn't as good as the book, just like other made-out-of-book movies. 
Movies are, by destiny, reduced to a limited infinity,
and it's only unreasonable for us to ask for a movie to be as good as the book itself. 
However, I do believe that there might not be a better way of laying out the movie,
as the team has done.

Bravo to the team making this film.
But still, the last part ... IS DISAPPOINTING. :(







From TFIOS, I've learnt ...


that love is powerful
It's impossible to live without love.
I am not narrowing it down to the kind of love between couples,
but the love between you the people around you:
your family, friends, and life partner.
TFIOS taught me to be never afraid in expressing my love to the people around me.
I will never learn which day will my Last Good Day be,
and I'm betting that no one can, too, like Hazel has said.
In TFIOS, the affection Augustus and Hazel had for each other is powerful.
Augustus Waters is extremely romantic, his expressions of love
did not only go by merely words, but also actions,
which meant the world to Hazel.
He did everything he could for Hazel:
he spent his last dying wish on Hazel's dream of her life,
he never stopped loving Hazel albeit knowing full well how sick she is,
and that she might even be gone one day and have his own heart broken.
Hazel, too, did not back down from her love for Gus
when Augustus was informed of a cancer recurrence.
She told him to not worry: it was just a touch of cancer,
despite knowing the gravity of the situation.
She reassured Augustus of his biggest fear of oblivion,
by reminding him that he will never be forgotten, because she loves him.


Oh, and how can I forget about the love between Hazel and her parents?


Hazel's parents are strong.
Although at times, they can be quite protective
(which are all based on the grounds of genuine love),
they still give their every support for Hazel.
Hazel's mum is so loving and supportive that she agreed to go Amsterdam
with Hazel and Gus because she wanted her child to be happy.
"You are not a grenade, not to us.
Thinking about you dying makes us sad,
Hazel, but you are not a grenade."
It surely hurts the parents so, so much to live with
the very fact that their child is sitting below the Sword of Damocles all her life.


Besides, the strong bond that existed between
Isaac and Augustus's friendship can never be overlooked.
It was especially touching when Isaac eulogises Gus in his pre-funeral:
"...When the scientists of the future show up at my house with robot eyes
and they tell me to try them on, I will tell the scientists to screw off, 
because I do not want to see a world without him, Augustus.


...and it's important to always be grateful
...for everything you have in your life.
Even cancer patients, like Gus and Hazel and Isaac, can live their lives beautifully, 
so why can't us?
"because they are fictional characters?" Yes, probably, 
but what is the reason for us to stop trying?


 They appreciate each other so much that they
shared their everyday-emotions all the time.
"You gave me a forever within the numbered days, and I'm grateful."
To Hazel and Augustus in particular, forever isn't defined
by the number of days they have been together,
but how much they have gone through together.
We must always appreciate the people around us,
while they are still here with us.


Although some parts (which I really love)
were omitted from the movie, it is still a good film nonetheless.
I love how Ansel Elgort played his role as Augustus Waters in the movie.
He has that charm that effortlessly locks your heart
(not only by his hotness, but also his character).
There were also some parts which made me weep silently in my seat.
The scenes were still flashing in my head right this moment,
and I just can't get over the conversations Gus and Hazel had. :')


And, if you love TFIOS as much as I do, please do yourself a favour:
WATCH THE MOVIE !!!

Okay? 



P.S. Thank you so much for reading this long wordy post
from the very beginning till the end! 

Click here to listen to my cover for TFIOS ♥









 photo zeng teck signature_zpscpamp0ov.jpg

No comments :

Post a Comment

 photo back to top 1_zpsf8bgncs9.png